Environmental Safety in the Home

Debbie Snapp
ECB Publishing, Inc.

VFW Post 251 Past District II Commander and current Post Program Chairman John Nelson has been giving a Community Education Power Point presentation titled “Environmental Safety in the Home” to various groups, schools and ministries, most recently to the Jefferson Senior Citizens Center (JSCC.)
The presentation references the common and every-day chemicals found in the home, such as cleaning products, dish and laundry detergents, bleach and ammonia. Mixing together these and other household products can be harmful and even deadly when breathed in, or when smoking.
Chemicals used from ceiling to floor can be a deadly combination when not used properly. Product label instructions on usage should always be read and clearly understood before using. Many of the products cause dangerous gases that when breathed in cause harmful burning and severe headaches.
The program that Nelson presents usually takes about an hour, depending on the questions asked. Clients at the JSCC were very surprised by the caution needed when combining certain household products, commenting that they were unaware of the dangers of 'simple, every-day' items. “It was an eye-opener for them,” says Nelson. Many of the clients shared stories of household mishaps they experienced.
Nelson talked about common items that don't mix, and talked briefly about smoking in combination with garages and vehicle fumes when left running; house mold, fire ant bites and bee stings, toothpaste, electric blankets, hot tubs, scarfs, and the proper usage and storage of these items.
He also makes himself available for speaking engagements by contacting him at (850) 241-2745 or nelsonsrjohn@aol.com.