Life can be a drag

Living by faith and not by sight means that whatever occurs, with God’s help, we can make it. We don’t know what lies ahead, but we know that whatever it is, with God’s help, we will be able to handle it.
Geologists tell us that only 3 percent of the earth's fresh water is on the surface in the form of rivers and lakes. The other 97 percent remains as a huge subterranean reservoir below. Many are much the same in their faith living potential. The percentage of powers we access and use on the surface is miniscule compared to the vast majority of possibilities we have underneath.
So, how do we bring to the surface the powers and possibilities the Creator has placed within each of us? For me, it comes from following Jesus in much the same way I water skied with my brothers growing up.
Picture a slim athlete popping right up out of the water and water skiing behind a very fast boat. That wasn’t me. Instead, picture a boat towing a big log with a lot of drag. I was like that log.
I didn’t pop up like my brothers. My personal weight held me down and I was towed for a while before I finally got up. The secret to getting up was to hold on tight and keep with it, and eventually the resistance would give way and I would pop up on top of the water. Once on top of the water, I enjoyed sailing over the waves instead of plowing through them.
Scripture tells us, “Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful.” (Hebrews 10:23 NIV)
Life at times can be a drag, but Christ can pull us up and help us overcome the resistance we face, enabling us to glide over the troubled waters and waves of life. Just don’t forget to hold on tightly and keep with it; otherwise the drag will take us down, our forward progress will stop, and we will sink!