Every Christmas we celebrate with the Christmas story and birth of Christ. Do we really know what we think we know about what the Scriptures have told us about Jesus' birth?
The reality is, what we know may not be so! Traditions, songs, and stories have influenced our thinking!
Every year I like to share with those around me a fun test to help remind us of how much we really know, and how much of our knowledge is legend! Try testing your Christmas IQ with some of this year’s questions!
(1) As long as Christmas has been celebrated, it’s been on Dec. 25. (True or False)
(2) Joseph was from: A. Bethlehem; B. Jerusalem; C. Nazareth; D. Egypt; E. Chicago; F. None of the above.
(3) How did Joseph and Mary travel to Bethlehem? A. Joseph walked, Mary rode a donkey; B. Mary walked, Joseph rode a donkey; C. They both walked; D. They both rode; E. Our church van; F. They flew; G. Who Knows?
(4) What did the innkeeper tell Mary and Joseph? A. "Come back after Christmas." B. "I have a stable you can use." C. "There is no room at the inn." D. “Go away.” E. None of the above.
(5) Jesus was delivered in a: A. Stable; B. Manger; C. Cave; D. Barn; E. Unknown.
(6) Which animals does the Bible say were at Jesus' birth? A. Cows, sheep, goats; B. Cows, donkeys, sheep; C. Lowing cattle; D. Misc. barnyard animals; E. Lions, tigers, and bears; F. None of the above.
(7) Who saw the "Star in the East"? A. Shepherds; B. Mary and Joseph; C. Three Kings. D. Little Drummer Boy; E. None of the above.
(8) How many angels spoke to the shepherds? A. One; B. Three; C. Seven; D. A Multitude; E. Who knows?
(9) What did the angels sing? A. “Joy to the World, the Lord is come." B. "Alleluia." C. “Unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given.” D. "Glory to God in the Highest.” E. “Praise God from Whom all blessings flow.” F. "O Come all Ye Faithful.”
(10) How many wise men came to see Jesus?
(11) The wise men found Jesus in a: A. Manger; B. Stable; C. House; D. Good Mood.
(12) Where do we find the Christmas story in order to check on all of these ridiculous questions? A. Matthew; B. Mark; C. Luke; D. John; E. All of the above; F. Matthew and Mark; G. Matthew and Luke; H. Old Testament; I. Genesis; J. The Gospels; K. The Epistles; L. Television.
BIBLE IQ TEST ANSWERS: (1) False. It was not celebrated on December 25 until the fourth century. (2) A. See Luke 2:3,4. [although he was living in Nazareth] (3) G. The Bible doesn't say. (4) E. No word about the innkeeper. See Luke 2:7. (5) E. No word about it. See Luke 2:7. He was laid in a manger. (6) F. The Bible doesn't specify. (7) E. The wise men did. They were not kings. See Matthew 2:2. (8) A. See Luke 2:9. (9) D. See Luke 2:14. (10) No one knows. See Matthew 2:1. Original tradition had twelve. Later tradition had three, one for each gift. (11) C. See Matthew 2:11. (12) G. Mark begins with John the Baptist, John with "the Word".
May your Christmas be blessed and filled with Christmas “Presence”!